NDN wrestling

OMAHA — It could be said that Mike Leatherdale of Wayne is the lone bright spot Northeast Nebraska wrestlers in the Class B bracket of the state tournament.

If that's the case, Leatherdale is a big bright spot — and not just because of his size.

The junior 285-pounder nailed his third pin of the state tournament when he took down Alfredo Valquier of Nebraska City in 4 minutes, 43 seconds to reach the Class B finals.

“It's pretty exciting,” Leatherdale said. “I just kept doing what my coaches said, I did what I had to do, and I got the job done.”

He broke away from what was a close match to record the pin. He scored a takedown and a two-point near-fall within a span of eight seconds of the second period to take a 6-4 lead and led 6-5 before recording the fall.

“He tried to throw me, and I was able to roll through,” Leatherdale said. “I did that a couple of times, and it worked both times. The final time I was able to roll through and get the pin.”

Leatherdale, who did not medal at state as a freshman and was injured as a sophomore, becomes the first finalist for Wayne in the last 15 years. He will attempt to become the first champion for the Blue Devils since Matt Nelson, who won three-straight championships from 2002 through 2004.

Despite that, Leatherdale said he doesn't feel pressure to end the drought.

“There's no pressure. Just have to do what I need to do to get the job done,” he said.

The area put three more wrestlers into the semifinals, but all three suffered setbacks.

O'Neill sophomore 120-pounder Ty Rainforth dropped his first loss of the season when Paul Ruff of Gering rode a first-period takedown all the way to a 2-0 decision. Rainforth's classmate, Brady Thompson, fell 10-3 to Grand Island Northwest senior Collin Quandt at 138 pounds.

The only other semifinalist was Pierce sophomore Ashton Schweitzer, who dropped an 8-0 major-decision to Elliot Steinhoff of Platteview.

In other news

MADISON — We’ll start this story like every other sports story, with a game. Head coach Dan Fuhs said that he was concerned about one of his players heading into this one though, an East Husker Conference tournament game against Tekamah-Herman, which had already beat the Dragons twice.

On March 1, Cody Murphree was in Thurston County Jail’s outdoor recreation area. When the jailer watching him left to check on something, Murphree climbed up a basketball hoop, loosened bolts in the fence surrounding it, creating an opening. From there, he climbed to the roof of the building…