A Norfolk man allegedly involved in a fight with another man was arrested Friday on suspicion of assaulting an officer.

Just before 7:30 p.m. Friday, Norfolk police were called to the 1500 block of South Fourth Street for a physical fight between two males, said Capt. Michael Bauer in a press release. While en route, officers learned that one of the males had left the area in a vehicle and the other male involved was still there, Bauer said.

Officers arrived and had contact with Tyler Brandt, 23, of Norfolk. Brandt was extremely agitated and was warning the officers that if they did not leave, he would assault them. He disappeared into the residence only to reemerge, Bauer said, continually yelling at officers.

Brandt allegedly aggressively approached an officer, and the officer stuck his arm out to keep Brandt away from him. Brandt swatted the officer’s arm away and then punched the officer in the left shoulder, according to the press release. Brandt was taken to the ground and into custody but refused to sit in the rear seat of the police vehicle. He went limp, preventing the officers from getting him in the back seat.

Officers eventually were able to get Brandt in the car and arrest him on suspicion of assault on the police officer and resisting arrest. He was housed in the Norfolk City Jail and later transferred to the Madison County Jail.

In other news

WASHINGTON (AP) — Deaths among Medicare patients in nursing homes soared by 32% last year, with two devastating spikes eight months apart, a government watchdog reported Tuesday in the most comprehensive look yet at the ravages of COVID-19 among its most vulnerable victims.

WASHINGTON (AP) — More than 70% of Americans age 30 or older have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, the White House said, even as President Joe Biden is set to fall short of reaching his goal of giving a shot to the same percentage of all American adults by Independence Day.

Demolition of the building that housed Valentino's in Norfolk for more than 40 years moved forward on Monday. The Italian restaurant had operated at 1025 S. 13th St. since the early 1980s. (Click the arrow to see a timeline of photos.)