Not only does the Daily News have graduates from Wayne State College and Northeast Community College in this corner of the state, but also from colleges across the state.

In addition to several from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Doane, Midland and Chadron State also are represented in our newsroom, as is the University of Nebraska at Kearney, with the addition of our summer intern. More recently, we’ve added a couple of new writers from outside Nebraska.

Avid Daily News readers may have noticed these new names in the paper over the past few months, in addition to another name that is appearing a little less frequently.

Starting with the familiar name, Sheryl Schmeckpeper has retired after 25 years as the Living page editor. She has been a trusted, valuable source of Norfolk history, and she has continued to write occasional stories. Not only did she design the Living page each day, but she epitomizes what we value in our staff members, doing the job with excellence.

You also can say the same for our newest staff members. Readers already have seen their work in the Daily News, but here’s a chance to offer a little bit more about them.

 Victoria Nelson joined the staff in January. Hailing from North Carolina, she graduated in December from Liberty University, where she worked as a copy editor and reporter at her college newspaper. In spring 2020, she completed an internship with C-FAM as a United Nations reporting intern. In addition to writing stories and working on the news desk, she also compiles information for the Living page.

 James Murphy is another addition from the East Coast, joining the Daily News in March. He grew up in New York and graduated from Ithaca College in 2020 after covering sports for at the school’s newspaper and working at the two on-campus radio stations. At the Daily News, he’s covering and writing about boys sports.

 Closer to home, Mitchell Lierman is the Daily News’ summer intern. He is pursuing degrees in journalism and theater production at UNK. A graduate of West Point-Beemer High School, he helped revive the school’s student news and also wrote for 20 Below at the Daily News. At UNK, Mitch works for the Antelope student newspaper. Here, he has been writing feature stories and covering traditional summer events.

With new faces come new ideas — regardless of where they’re from — and we are excited to see how they can continue to be make the Daily News the place you turn to for news.

In other news

Suppose you’re in a battlefield with bad guys coming at you full force and you have the means of stopping them, but, while calling your own troops names, you pull them off the field, letting the bad guys have their murderous way. That’s not that far from what we’ve done in the United States …

PAGE — Speeding on country roads is threatening the lives of our children as well as the lives of domestic animals. What is our recourse to protect our children and ensure the safety of the animals that live on the farm? Speeding past a farm in excess of 25 mph is as dangerous as driving ove…

A poll from Issues & Insights this month revealed that only 36% of adults aged 18-24 said they were “proud to be American,” compared with 86% of those over the age of 65.

NORFOLK — I applaud the letter by over 100 citizens to ask the Norfolk City Council to deny TIF to 75 acres for a race track built by Ho-Chunk gaming. In no way am I against their casino or the track as I welcome the chance to get property tax relief that we have all been looking for and the…

It’s easy to see why the State Game Lodge in South Dakota’s Black Hills became the summer home for Presidents Coolidge and Eisenhower — given not only the spectacular scenery but also the bubbling streams that are home to tasty rainbow trout as well as a source of sustenance for the majestic…