Pierce storms

STRONG STORMS blew through parts of Northeast Nebraska on Monday night. Winds accompanying the storm caused damage to trees like this one that fell across Willow Street in Pierce.

At least two homes in Pierce were damaged Monday night as isolated thunderstorms rolled through parts of Northeast Nebraska.

Pierce Fire Chief Steve Dolesh said his crew was paged to tend to a house fire a little after 10:15 p.m. Monday. Upon arriving, they discovered that a tree had been struck by lightning.

“Then we started getting reports of trees on houses,” Dolesh said.

Two homes in Pierce — one on West Willow Street and another on North First Street — sustained damage from the fallen trees, Dolesh said. Part of another large tree had fallen across Willow Street, which remained barricaded on Tuesday morning.

Heavy rain fell in the community and wind gusts accompanied lightning and a nearly constant rumble of thunder throughout the lengthy duration of the storm.

No severe weather warnings were issued prior to the storm rolling in, but a flood advisory was issued for parts of the area a little after 10:15 p.m. Monday. By then, more than 2 inches of rain had already fallen in parts of the advised area.

Gary Zimmer of Pierce said the community received 2.77 inches of rain from the storm.

Elsewhere in Northeast Nebraska, Coleridge resident Elroy Hefner said by 7 a.m. Tuesday morning, he had received 3.9 inches of precipitation in his rain gauge, but the community was spared the strong winds received in Pierce.

“It started about 9:15 p.m.,” Hefner said. “It was very heavy rain. ... There was a little wind toward the last, but most of the rain had fallen by then.”

In Belden, Cathy Huetig reported that she had received 2.5 inches of rain from the storm, and Gail Bazata said the Randolph community received 1.95 inches.

Closer to Norfolk, significantly smaller amounts of precipitation were received.

John Carmen, who lives 1.25 miles north of Hadar, said he received only 0.75, and the official total reported to the National Weather Service at Norfolk Regional Airport measured only 0.11 inches.

Officials with the National Weather Service said a marginal risk of more severe weather exists for Tuesday, and off-and-on chances of thunderstorms will linger across the area throughout the Independence Day holiday.

In other news

State health officials have confirmed the death of a woman in North Central Nebraska from West Nile virus.