Quantcast
  • Welcome!
    |
    ||
    Logout|My Dashboard
  • ePaper
  • Subscription Services
  •                                         Northeast Nebraska's Most Reliable News Source

Fire blamed on magnifying glass

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 8:21 am

A magnifying glass left on a deck ignited wood at an apartment house Thursday afternoon.

Firefighters responded to 600 Queen City Blvd. at 1:01 p.m. to a fire at the rear of the apartment house, said Capt. John Reding of the Norfolk Fire Division.

They encountered moderate smoke and fire from the deck area of the two-story house but the fire was contained to the deck area.

Firefighters remained on scene for about an hour for investigation and overhaul.

The fire appears to have been accidental and the result of a large magnifying type glass left on the deck, concentrating direct sunlight onto the deck igniting the wood.

The building is owned by Allen Butterfield of Lincoln. There were no injuries to occupants or firefighters during the incident.

The Norfolk Police Division, Nebraska Public Power District and Black Hills Energy assisted at the scene.

© 2015 The Norfolk Daily News . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More about

More about

Welcome to the discussion.

Readers' Favorites

Follow us on Facebook

pause